Name:

Incase you are interested in knowing about me,id suggest you read this blog or whatever as often as you can.

Saturday, September 10, 2005

Ganesh festival : NNMM's enthusiastic volunteers

The 10 day Ganesh festival is on. Although the fervour with which it was celebrated in the past is missing. 944 mm to blame. The other day I was at a suburban junction and spotted a relatively uncrowded street-side Gansesh Pandal set up by the NN Mitra Mandal (MM's are traditionally, gangs of youths, who collect money and organise Sarvajanik Ganesh Celebrations in their localities. Little else is done by these clubs over the rest of the year). I had my camera with me and wanted to take some pictures of the idols etc. I was also apprehensive, that they might be a bit cold that an outsider wanted to take pictures of their efforts. Anyway this apprehension vanished very soon. The volunteer saw me with the camera and quickly cleared off some kids in front of the deity. He also switched on the flash lights so that I could get a better snap. I did take about 4-5 pictures and showed them to him too. He was mighty pleased.

Many Ganesh pandals have some kind of covered tent, and you have to queue up and go in (and offer money too - thats the main idea) to have a look at the Ganesh idol installed inside. This one was refreshingly different.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Mail me at :


whosblog@gmail.com



Websites and blogs:


Arts and Letters Daily

Papillon in Corporate

Dashdot

IIT Bombay

IRFCA

CACM


Kalpana


Killer posts:


Desiderata

Bombay's abbreviations

Home grown heroes

Bombay's deceptive climate

Bombay's nomenclature

Downpour Sunita

Gallows pole

Equality between men and women

Salsette island

Pray for a seat

Lucresia Domenguez

Hammer of the gods

Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Gents seat in a BEST bus




















Hit Counter
Free Web Site Counter